Its been a while between posts, my bad, between working, and painting the house blah blah blah, But I have managed to start working on Alice Springs yard. The foam bases have been cut out for the boards. The whole yard has been stepped out 1:1 to see if the plan will truly fit in the location. This time I traced out all the track locations directly on the foam, so that when it comes to laying the track it will be a cinch!!
As you can guess a small bit of modification was required. At the southern end the northern intermodal tracks had to be modified to split from the mainline before the level crossing at larrapina Drive. the locomotive depot has to be a bit smaller that first hoped, due to the angle of the Micro engineering points angle of departure. I have re-arranged the curved Peco code 83 points slightly so that the curvature is just that little bit smoother.
The Intermodal crane runways are a little longer. The northern end of the yard has also be re-arranged to enable easier access for the shunter to roads 1 and 2. This has off set the passing siding function between the mainline and other roads. I found there was plenty of room for the industrial sidings, and I have decided to add a Steel supplier to the sidings.
As for the track, I have worked out that I need the following to complete the yard:
17 Code 70 #6 points RH
9 Code 70 #6 points LH
64 lengths of code 70 track
4 Code 83 #7 curved points LH
1 Code 83 #7 curved points RH
Some of this I already have, the rest I will have to go shopping for.
On the plus side there is plenty of room for the goods shed, which I may be able to build to a scale width and height, but not length.
The ply, 3mm MDF 19mm by 42mm legs will have to be ordered at the same time as the wood for the decking - expanded BBQ area.
The rest of the layout has also been planned out 1 to 1 and things are looking good.
I have some shots of the yard amongst the planning stages, and will up load them later.
I will upload the final plan and include the revisions as a result of the 1 to 1 planning exercise.
The Crown Vics arrived from the US weeks ago, and they will be repainted to resemble EB, ED falcons, they will look the part with the right amount of lining work and lights reshaped. I am not going to modify them in any way except for painting and lining. I have checked they will fit in the WMGF triple deck car carrier.
The train room walls have been filled and sanded, ready for the final coat, think I will complete the paint work in between replacing the blinds with 100% block outs, more things to cut the check for, but they have to be done.
Tyobic by Bayside Model Railway Club is bue for Exhibition this month and the guys are getting all prepared,